Complete knowledge of color masterbatch, super practical
The use of color masterbatch has the following advantages:
1. Improve the dispersibility of pigments in products
During the production process of color masterbatch, it is necessary to refine the pigments to improve their dispersibility and coloring power. The carrier of the specialized color masterbatch is the same as the plastic variety of the product, and has good compatibility. After heating and melting, the pigment particles can be well dispersed in the plastic of the product.
2. It is conducive to maintaining the chemical stability of pigments
If pigments are directly used, due to direct contact with air during storage and use, the pigments will experience water absorption, oxidation, and other phenomena. After being made into color masterbatch, the resin carrier separates the pigments from air and water, which can maintain the quality of the pigments for a long time.
3. Ensure the stability of product color
The color masterbatch particles are similar to resin particles, making them more convenient and accurate in measurement. When mixed, they do not adhere to the container, and the mixing with the resin is also more uniform. Therefore, the stability of the addition amount can be ensured, thereby ensuring the stability of the product color.
4. Protect the health of operators
Pigments are generally powdery and can easily fly when added and mixed, which can affect the health of operators when inhaled by the human body. Why do we often use color masterbatch instead of toner? Should we pay tribute to the color masterbatch factory?
5. Keep the environment clean
6. Easy to use
Reply to 'Color Master' for more related articles
What are the basic components of color masterbatch?
1. Pigments or dyes
Pigments are further divided into organic pigments and inorganic pigments
Commonly used organic pigments include phthalocyanine red, phthalocyanine blue, phthalocyanine green, light fast bright red, macromolecular red, macromolecular yellow, Yonggu yellow, Yonggu purple, azo red, etc. Commonly used inorganic pigments include cadmium red, cadmium yellow, titanium dioxide, carbon black, iron oxide red, iron oxide yellow, etc
It is the matrix of the color master batch. Special color masterbatch generally selects the same resin as the product resin as the carrier, with the best compatibility between the two, but also considering the fluidity of the carrier.
Promote the uniform dispersion of pigments and prevent them from agglomerating. The melting point of dispersants should be lower than that of resins, with good compatibility and affinity with pigments. The most commonly used dispersants are polyethylene low molecular wax and stearate.
Varieties such as flame retardant, brightening, antibacterial, anti-static, antioxidant, etc. Unless requested by the customer, generally the color masterbatch does not contain the above additives
What are the varieties and grades of color masterbatch?
There are several commonly used methods for classifying color masterpieces:
Classified by carrier: such as PE masterbatch, PP masterbatch, ABS masterbatch, PVC masterbatch, EVA masterbatch, etc
Classified by purpose: such as injection masterbatch, blow molding masterbatch, spinning masterbatch, etc. Each variety can be divided into different levels, such as:
1. Advanced injection color masterbatch: used for cosmetic packaging boxes, toys, electrical casings, and other advanced products.
2. Ordinary injection color masterbatch: used for general daily plastic products, industrial containers, etc.
3. Advanced blown film color masterbatch: used for blow molding and coloring of ultra-thin products.
4. Ordinary blown film color masterbatch: used for blow molding and coloring of general packaging bags and woven bags.
5. Spinning masterbatch: Used for spinning and coloring textile fibers. The masterbatch pigment has fine particles, high concentration, strong coloring power, good heat and light resistance.
6. Low grade color masterbatch: used to manufacture low-grade products with low requirements for color quality, such as trash cans, low-level containers, etc.
How to distinguish between universal color masterbatch and specialized color masterbatch?
Special color masterbatch: It is a color masterbatch manufactured using the same plastic as the carrier according to the plastic variety specified by the user for the product. For example, PP and ABS masterbatches are used as carriers respectively.
Universal color masterbatch: Some resin (often low melting point PE) is also used as a carrier, but it can be used for coloring other resins besides its carrier resin.
Universal color masterbatch is relatively simple and convenient, but it has many drawbacks. It is recommended that everyone choose a dedicated color masterbatch.
Why do many companies not produce universal color masterbatches?
The vast majority of legitimate color masterbatch companies internationally generally do not produce universal color masterbatches.
Universal color masterbatch has many drawbacks. In fact, the 'universal' scope of universal color masterbatch is very narrow, and the technical indicators and economic benefits are also poor, specifically manifested in:
1. Poor predictability of coloring effects
Color masterbatch is used for coloring, and the pigments of universal color masterbatch will present different colors in different plastics, so the predictability of coloring effects is poor.
2. Other properties that affect plastic products
Especially affecting strength, products are prone to deformation and distortion, which is more pronounced for engineering plastics.
3. High cost
In order to be 'universal', universal color masterbatches often use pigments with higher heat resistance levels, which leads to waste.
Can the color masterbatch have functions such as flame retardancy, brightening, anti-static, antioxidant, and UV resistance in addition to coloring?
Color masterbatch can have several functions at the same time, if the factory requests in this regard.
Sometimes, even if the customer does not make a request, the color master company may suggest adding some additives according to the needs of the product, such as adding certain additives such as brighteners to the color master. Of course, this will increase the cost of the product.
Reply to 'Color Master' for more related articles
What is the heat resistance of the color masterbatch?
The heat resistance level of specialized color masterbatch is generally suitable for the plastic used in products, and can be used with confidence at normal temperatures. Only in the following situations can it cause varying degrees of discoloration: firstly, the temperature exceeds the normal range, and secondly, the shutdown time is too long.
What is the difference between granulation coloring and masterbatch coloring?
Compared to granulation coloring, masterbatch coloring has the following advantages:
1. Coloring and product processing are completed at once, avoiding the heating process of granulation and coloring on plastic, which is beneficial for protecting the quality of plastic products.
2. Simplify the production process of plastic products.
3. Can save a lot of electricity
Will products colored with color masterbatch not fade?
There are no products that are absolutely non fading, and products that use color masterbatch coloring may still fade. However, the degree of fading varies for different grades of products, some are more obvious, while others are difficult to detect.
Production process flow of color masterbatch
1. The scientific name, colloquial name, and process technology of the product
Product scientific names are divided into various colored masterbatches based on materials: polyethylene, polypropylene, ABS, HIPS/PS, nylon, polyester, polypropylene spinning, pearlescence, PE cable sheath, communication cable, PE foam, PS foam color masterbatch.
It can be divided into anti-static, flame retardant, anti-aging, transparent, whitening and brightening masterbatch according to function.
According to color, it is divided into black, white, yellow, green, red, orange, brown, blue, silver, gold, purple, gray, pink, pearl, imitation marble grain (flow pattern), and wood grain color masterbatch.
The production process requirements for color masterbatch are very strict, usually using wet process. The color masterbatch is made by grinding, phase transformation, washing, drying, and granulation in water, in order to ensure the quality of the product.
In addition, while grinding the pigment, a series of tests should also be carried out, such as measuring the fineness of the sand grinding slurry, measuring the diffusion performance of the sand grinding slurry, measuring the solid content of the sand grinding slurry, and measuring the fineness of the color slurry.
There are four methods for the production process of color masterbatch:
Ink method: As the name suggests, it is the production method of using ink paste in the production of color masterbatch, which involves coating a low molecular protective layer on the surface of the pigment through three roller grinding. The ground fine color paste is then mixed with the carrier resin, and then plasticized through a two roll plastic mixer (also known as a double roll open mill), and finally granulated through a single screw or double screw extruder.
The process is as follows:
(1) Batching, stirring, coarse color paste, three roll grinding, fine color paste, two roll plastic mixing, extrusion and granulation
(2) Rinsing method: It involves sanding pigments, water, and dispersants to reduce the particle size of the pigment to less than 1 μ m. And through the phase transfer method, the pigment is transferred into the oil phase, and then dried to obtain the color master batch. Organic solvents and corresponding solvent recovery devices are required for phase inversion. The process is shown in the following figure:
Fine color slurry washing, evaporation, concentration material drying, carrier addition, extrusion and granulation
(3) Pinching method: It is the process of mixing pigments with oily carriers and utilizing the hydrophilic properties of pigments to wash them from the water phase into the oil phase through kneading. At the same time, the surface of the pigment is coated by an oily carrier, which disperses and stabilizes the pigment, preventing it from condensing.
4) Metal soap method: The pigment is ground to a particle size of 1 μ At a certain temperature, a soap solution is added to form a layer of saponification solution by uniformly wetting the surface layer of each pigment particle with the soap solution. When a metal salt solution is added, it reacts with the saponification layer on the surface of the pigment to form a protective layer of metal soap (magnesium stearate). This ensures that the finely ground pigment particles do not cause flocculation and protect a certain degree of fineness.
A new type of color masterbatch has excellent performance and functionality, which can demonstrate good value in the production of plastic bottles.
In most cases, people believe that the cost of masterbatch coloring is higher than that of toner.
I learned from the Color Masterbatch Professional Committee of the China Dye Industry Association
The carrier of the specialized color masterbatch is the same as the plastic variety of the product, and has good compatibility,
With the promotion and popularization of "high-performance plastic materials" nowadays, the requirements for color masterbatches in plastic products are not only limited to the level of "coloring"